View Single Post
Old 28 Feb 2016, 11:00 (Ref:3618382)   #4
SidewaysFeltham
Racer

United Kingdom
UK and France
SidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSidewaysFeltham should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakemono View Post
Im all for it, as long as I have the option to drive manually when I choose. I commute almost as hour each way and Id love to be able to set the car to auto-drive, kick back and read a book, look at stuff on my phone or take a nap.
Who knows, maybe at some point the technology will advance where highway speeds here in the states could be 100 mph or more.
Nice idea.

However, remember, what happens when something goes awry? Software glitch: electrical failure: static wipes out an essential CMoS chip?

Quite a few years ago, I flew back from Milan to London, on the flight deck of a brand new Boeing 757, complete with the then latest HUDs and computerised flight systems. Acting as a Devil's Advocate, and then being deeply engaged in silicon fab and ICT applications, I asked the captain what would happen in the case of a lightning strike taking out the main flight control computer: "Oh" he said, "We switch to the back-up!".

"OK" is replied: so what happens if both computers are taken out?"

"We would have to fly the airplane manually, Sir; and would be far too busy to be talking to you!"

However, the unspoken reality is de-skilling: as modern automobiles have increasingly adopted a range of assistive technologies (ABS, Traction Control) etc, drivers have become increasingly de-skilled.

Having suffered the misfortune of driving, repeatedly along the 101 freeway, thru the San Franciso Bay area, between San Jose and 'Frisco in the rush hour, with all lanes clogged bumper to bumper with mobikes, trucks, panel vans, cars, buses and Big Mac supertrucks, if one driver made any serious error or suffered any sort of failure, then the thought of my being squashed as a sandwich filling by all that metal travelling at circa 50-60 MPH was frightening!

In extremis, I could kick the cruise out; but I still had control.

Lovely scary thought: there you are bowling along reading your book or dozing and a chime announces a meassage which states "Windows 25 has unfortunately suffered a serious system error and will re-boot shortly,. Microsoft apologises for this unavoidable problem."

Let's just hope you have the time to read it!