View Single Post
Old 2 Sep 2019, 11:17 (Ref:3925379)   #84
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter is correct in that this is not an EU piece of legislation, and I was obviously wrong as I didn't bother to look it up. The "convention" was a product of the United Nations, and actually dates back to 1968, coming in to effect in 1988.

However, although the UK was a signatory to the convention, the UK did not ratify (i.e. place it on the statute book) but it did incorporate most of the convention. But, one part of the convention that it did not incorporate was the requirement for trailer registration.

Therefore, as much of the EU has ratified the convention, the government decided to ratify the convention to bring the UK's legislation in line with many other EU countries.