View Single Post
Old 19 Apr 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1895404)   #14
MG Rover Sport
Veteran

England
MG Rover Sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only just discovered this fantastic thread, and I must admit it has taken me some time to read it all through - still haven't had the time to take it all in though!

I have quite a bit of information on the rally cars that might be of interest to this thread, and I am more than happy to contribute. However from memory, this is I understand it...

The three AXXXVUK cars were all built for the planned Paris Peking Rally, but onece that event was shelved, the cars went on to compete in the 1983 Trophée Jean François Piot in France, and the 1984 Austin Rover Rallysprint at Donington. Tom Walkinshaw even used '379' on the 1984 National Breakdown Rally - I think in Herbie Clips livery.

The three AXXXWOE cars were all built for the 1984 Austin Rover Rallysprint at Donington, and driven by the likes of Mansell, Mouton, Brundle, Duez, McRae, Rosberg, Eklund and Watson.

After the event '478' got crashed into the Longleat tree by Tony Pond on the 1984 Lombard RAC Rally, '479' was used by Mike Stuart during the 1985 British Open Rally Championship, and '480' by Russell Gooding on the 1985 FIA European Group A Challenge.

In 1985, there were three BXXXAOX Computervision sponsored cars, primarily for Tony Pond to use on the 1985 British Open Rally Championship, but there were also occasions when Marc Duez and Mike Stuart used them as well.

Another point of interest is that Tom Walkinshaw used a car on the 1983 Criterium Lucien Bianchi in Belgium. This car also went on to compete on the 1983 Rothmans Manx International Rally in Pond's hands. It was an ex-touring car, Reg Nº FJO 450Y - and still even had the single centre locking wheelnuts fitted!