View Single Post
Old 13 May 2019, 14:35 (Ref:3903502)   #11
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I am not asking any question on finances, you obviously can't read. Do you want the leaders slowed down or the midfield to come up to their level. Its a pretty simple question really.
Only "yes" or "no" answers in the thread? If pushed into that corner. "No". Is my participation in this thread done?

In all seriousness, I am not sure how this is different than the "How to Fix F1?" thread other than the OP has specific rules on what we can talk about? Then as the thread topic evolves and gets out of his control (was it ever?) it is just another "what is wrong with F1" thread?

So while I question another thread on the same general topic I will try to answer the questions without the bounds of only providing "yes/no" answers.

Quote:
I think the question should be asked another way, should the top teams be handicapped by either regulation or a capped spend or should the lower teams be assisted in some way to make them more competitive, or put another way do you slow one down or speed the other up.
Why does it have to be either or? I actually am not sure what "top teams be handicapped..." means. Especially with respect to the regulation side. Are you saying... performance penalty such as adding weight to the winning cars or some other BoP method? I am not sure how you write rules to handicap top teams short of something like that. Unless you are talking about your second part which is to cap spending. That will hurt those who will see their budget shrink.

I would say I am not in favor of things that directly penalize winners such as BoP style adjustments. I am very much on record for advocating cost caps, more equitable revenue distribution, less "special cases" such as Ferrari payments, vetos, etc.

Quote:
Would the competition suffer if the top teams were to lose lap time speed and be slowed down and how would a regulation change to bring them back to the field be implemented and not slow the midfield and back of the field teams at the same time.
As to competition suffering. If everyone is playing by the same rules, I can't see it hurting competition. If you implement BoP style stuff, then the competition moves more away from the track and into the back room. I personally prefer watching it on track.

You speak of "speed" as if the desire is to slow down the front runners and speed up the back of the field. I don't view this as "hold someone back" or "speed someone up". I view it as trying to remove some of the disparity of how the sport is organized and then let the chips fall as they may (i.e. competition). The pecking order may be the same as before! But... the idea is that it should tighten the field and the minnows may not be purely focusing on survival. Or at least... make it hard to dominate via the size of your budget.

And before someone mentions it... Yes, having a budget doesn't guarantee success, but boy it sure does help! I think Mercedes is successful for two reasons. First they are well funded and second they are well managed. If their budget was capped and continue to have excellent management, they still very well may win on a regular basis. Some like to pick on Ferrari for "being typical Ferrari". So lets assume Ferrari is poorly managed. If they are capped and remain poorly managed, they may drop back. Someone else might rise up and challenge (and even surpass) Mercedes. Who knows!

Richard