View Single Post
Old 14 May 2019, 12:03 (Ref:3903684)   #19
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
As I posted on another thread (indicating that there is indeed overlap with other discussions) I think that two issues get conflated here.

Issue 1:
Three teams are miles ahead of the rest. This is a problem for the sport and is down to money, so sorting that out requires radical action on budgets and revenue distribution.

Issue 2:
Of the three top teams, Mercedes is dominant. This isn't a problem with/for/of the sport, it is a problem with/of/for Ferrari and Red Bull. There is nothing stopping those two teams competing with Mercedes other than their own differing level of competence in pretty much every aspect of racing an F1 car.

I am absolutely, totally opposed to punishing success. Mercedes are an awesome, brilliant, incredible sporting force, due nothing but applause and celebration. It is a privilege to watch them. It's not their fault Ferrari and Red Bull can't keep up (metaphorically and literally). The relative flaws of Mercedes' competitors should not be compensated for by holding back the team which has done and continues to do a better job.