View Single Post
Old 14 May 2019, 13:38 (Ref:3903696)   #23
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
So for the sake of argument: what is the "potential" of Formula 1?
Writing this post as thoughts come to mind - so please forgive any ramblings.

One thing that has been raised has been the closeness or competitiveness of the middle runners. Surely this shows that the current F1 regime can produce healthy competition and close racing. The outliers are at the very back, and the front of the grid. How could this closeness be brought to the front of the grid?

One sport that comes to mind:
A sport where a controlled number of teams compete for a league title each year,
that has no relegation or promotion,
where certain teams have had dominant periods,
NFL.

Could F1 learn something from the NFL?

Fund distribution. All teams in the NFL receive an equal allocation from the league. This could be replicated in F1.

Separate divisions/conferences. Splitting teams up into small groups may not be feasible, but dividing the teams into two conferences may be possible? Imagine a scenario where race weekends alternate between two sets of teams. Teams would have less races per year, reducing the fatigue. More venues could host races. Locations could even hold more than one race a season.
Once the two conferences have reached their conclusion, a final round would see the top three teams from each conference compete for the title(s).

Draft. The driver roster is a lot smaller in F1 than NFL, but I still think there is scope here. At the end of each season, teams are not able to retain their drivers. All drivers who are eligible for F1 (including current drivers and rookies) are available for selection. The teams then receive draft picks based on their previous season's record. So currently the draft would be in two rounds, with Williams having first pick. This could even be expanded in the terms of 3-car teams, with the smaller grids at each event. An additional factor would be the knowledge of other cars that may be taken by drivers to other teams.

All just a pipe-dream, but if F1 is going to change significantly, then extreme measures must be at least put on the table.