Thread: BTCC BTCC 2021
View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2020, 10:47 (Ref:3996821)   #34
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!Alfisti has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I'm not saying it is 100% accurate, but some circles are reporting that a VXR-badged Astra will be appearing as soon as 2021:

Carbuyer: 'a plug-in hybrid version of the new Astra will be offered. [...] The Hybrid4 will be badged as a VXR model, Vauxhall’s performance moniker, and it’ll have the acceleration and handling to suit the VXR badge. '

msn: 'But the Astra Hybrid4 VXR, [...] is expected to go on sale shortly after the new Astra’s launch in 2021.'

I guess the chance of 2021 seeing a VXR in the BTCC depends on how much PSA (and the UK dealer network) want to get the VXR brand back in the forefront of the general public? It would mean moving to the new model, which PMR have not indicated as a possibility yet so I expect it is unlikely.

Some might argue that running an Astra VXR in the BTCC does not fit with the showroom model being a 1.6L (rumoured). But that hasn't stopped Motorbase sticking ST on their Focus, when the showroom model is a 2.3L.
The fast Astra - if it gets production go ahead - will, like the fast Corsa, share it's Peugeot brother's parts bin. So the new 308 in this case. Likely a turbocharged 1.6 petrol with a hybrid gubbins.

Unfortunately the linked articles are typical "Auto Express" style mock up a new car that isn't announced and pad out with any legit sounding reference you can find. Or failing that, invent it. I used to write some of this rubbish in a past life.

I also believe the electric MG estate for sale in the UK story to be ********. The market is not anywhere near to being at a volume where the likes of VW, PSA, Ford can sell an electric estate and turn a profit. Mr Chinaman's tiny market share would certainly not return a margin. Guess we'll see - but estate cars simply don't sell to family buyers anymore - they mostly buy SUV tanks. Sales reps tool around in estates, but they need diesel.