View Single Post
Old 17 Jul 2017, 23:41 (Ref:3752285)   #4994
ApexClips
Rookie

ApexClips should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Of course, I know that some of you won't like that idea. But I also don't think that LM, if it's part of the championship, should just have equal points as a 6 hour or 1000km race. Only other way I can see getting around this is do as the ALMS used to do and if you run 70% of the winners' distance/time, you automatically get points based on in-class position, whether or not you finish or not, and make it apply to all races.
I think this approach would spoil the last portion of the race, or at least temper some of the drama. Conversely, seperating Le Mans from the rest of the WEC would devalue the championship massively if it were done today. I'd much rather see more distinctive premier-level events added to the WEC schedule, even if it were at the cost of a few of the more marginal current events. This would hopefully reduce the likelyhood of team orders because these events would be treated with a higher level of reverence than many of the mid-season races currently are.

Some are protective of the "crown jewel" status Le Mans retains, but I believe the difference in prestige level between Le Mans and other WEC events could be greatly reduced without any real threat to the prominence or weight of Le Mans. I'm sure the ACO see things somewhat differently, though.