Thread: IMSA Race VIR 2016
View Single Post
Old 26 Aug 2016, 23:03 (Ref:3667753)   #37
belt driven
Racer

United States
NE exurban ATL
belt driven has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hi guys. I haven't posted in awhile; but I lurk occasionally (like for 24 hours in June).

I'm making my first trip to VIR tomorrow with my oldest friend/racebud. We've had it on the list for a long time but something always came up (except one of those round tuits.) Looking forward to a race with no Portable Cautions!

Mention of road music reminded me that Road Atlanta has the twin aggravations of Drift and EDM this weekend. Since I live about 3 miles from Road Atlanta and will drive past tomorrow AM, I have already picked out a raucous late punk track to play obnoxiously LOUD/windows down.

Barber got decent turnouts in late July. I went to 'Dega a few times 70's - 80's and being younger, dumber, and thinner (sweat better); I preferred late July as the infield wasn't so packed. In the days of "official" attendance figures, they would sell 30,000 fewer tickets than for late April.

I have never been east of the second I-85 exit in NC. Does anyone have route advice? Bing maps doesn't know I-485 is complete north of Charlotte. Is that a better choice than straight through on I-85?

Is concession food at VIR decent? Is there a paddock area cafe with a TV that could have on the Belgian GP Sunday AM?

For your amusement, the historic Glenn Bunch AAGT HEMI Challenger at VIR 2007. At 1:18, note the 40-170 mph out of Oak Tree shifting at 6000...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bj1RB6_497c