View Single Post
Old 18 Oct 2011, 23:00 (Ref:2973568)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I don't like that article portraying Bernard as a bloodthirsty dragon getting his kicks killing Indycar drivers.

It was on Tony George's watch that cars, which behave like gigantic darts when they crash, came online. That's before Randy's time. The tubs do withstand their "flights" miraculously [Will Power, sore but safe] but I'm afraid a flying Dallara dart could, with ease, cause a LeMans '55, all over again.

It was under Randy's watch that this new supersafe Dallara was selected and introduced. They had so much safety in mind that the car looks more like a life-raft on wheels than a racing car what with the decision to compromise on open wheels.

However his idea of sticking on cold turkey taxi drivers and that stunt Travis Whateverhisnameis on the back of an overly subscribed grid in a track a fraction the size of Indy was LUNACY -- and he nearly pulled it off!

There is a dangerous discrepancy between Randy and reality. I was never impressed with the silly old management canard of appointing a man who knew nothing about the sport and that was 'what was needed'. No. You can't do that with motorracing, badmington maybe but not motorracing.

The Wheldon crash was caused by Cunningham, who's not a bad driver and a good lad, in a massive but otherwise conventional crash that was made lethal because we have cars that behave like whale sized darts when they crash at speed. It wasn't negligence on behalf Cunningham, it was just a racing mistake and it wasn't Bernard, as unsuited to his current role as he is by the evidence to date.

Last edited by Paradise City; 18 Oct 2011 at 23:05.