View Single Post
Old 16 Mar 2019, 23:02 (Ref:3891161)   #630
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Claire did a short sit-down interview with Australian TV yesterday (Saturday) before qualifying I think. Female non-motorsport interviewer and Alan Jones.

If I had a link or whatevs I'd post it but unfortunately it was one interview in the middle of something like 9 hours of programme time for the AGP.

Claire was quite defensive about the current team performance and said that people have quickly forgotten that the team was doing well only a couple of years ago, that she took over a team that had been finishing 8-9 and had it finishing 3-5. Sounds like the criticism is getting under her skin a little, which is understandable.

She also talked about how important the family feel it is to maintain the legacy of Frank & Ginny and also that a non-family member wouldn't be doing any better with the current car (or last year's car).

AJ said he was confident that with the resources at Grove, the team would turn things around at some stage but there was no discussion on how quickly.

I don't know Claire so can't really be too critical of her management style etc but there has to be something completely out of kilter in the structure at Williams for them to roll out 2 (reportedly) fundamentally different designs in 2 years, both of which have a deep-seated flaw of series of flaws that will take time to rectify this year and couldn't be rectified at all last year.

Seems to me that someone is needed who can take the family emotion out of it and have a hard-nosed run through where the problems lie and start addressing them. At the very least, if there is clear evidence that changes are being made for sound reasons internally, that may help to keep the current sponsors on board in the hope of some improvement.

Mind you, with all the talk about the team, the sponsors are getting quite a bit of coverage I suppose.