View Single Post
Old 7 Sep 2018, 08:47 (Ref:3848624)   #9
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thoughts Peter?

Both The Revival, and the Classic are now big commercial ventures relying on attracting a big crowd of paying punters, and in order to get the 'casual fan' to buy a ticket there has to be something more than enthusiastic amateurs driving.

I doubt if the average BTCC fan would be attracted to a simple historic meeting, but names like Jordan, Neal, et al will probably pull them in, likewise he F1 fans would be attracted by Button, Berger etc. I suspect that only the genuine 'historic fans' would be attracted by the cars themselves.

In order to run a historic meeting you need historic cars and that is where people like yourself come in. You have the car, but, and no disrespect intended, you are not a huge attraction, therefore the Pro/Am nature of much of the racing.

Anyway in the case of Goodwood it's the 'It's My Party and I'll Cry if I Want to' syndrome.

I used to enjoy the original Mulberry Historic Meetings, proper job, but that has morphed into todays 'Silverstone Classic Festival'.
I think it is called progress.

It is a shame that the racing can not be separated from the ballyhoo aspects of these events, so it is the live feed for me.

I hope you have a happy and successful meeting, so give us a wave as you pass the cameras.

Cheers,

Bob. Couch Potato.