View Single Post
Old 8 Oct 2019, 06:33 (Ref:3932610)   #34
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
As someone who contributed to the Rich Energy thread, but not the Gurney thread (i don't think) I believe you are missing an important nuance here.

The Dan Gurney passing is way more important to me. I have the Gurney bumper sticker.

However I am not inclined to post in that thread, I don't feel an affinity with the passing threads for various reasons. Something I've developed over the years. Even if I did I would have posted maybe once or twice.

The frivolous energy drink thread was a current topic and changing, so it would get more posts. Also it is frivolous. It is a different thing. As with journalism, there is a difference between quantity and quality.

A good point. I rarely post in such threads either as I often find them mawkish and crass . But I was (perhaps clumsily) making the point that ,for many , modern motorsport begins and ends with current F1 . I suspect only a tiny percentage of modern F1 fans even know about , let alone attend, the huge array of live motorsport we have in the UK .

For them , some ephemeral trivia about whose logo appears on an F1 car seems far more important than who was fastest at Shelsley Walsh (where?) or the programme for 2020 National racing events('that's like Goodwood innit ? ') and Autosport reflects this . We no longer have motorsport enthusiasts in any number, but we have a big F1 fanbase for whom such status just means watching too much TV .