View Single Post
Old 20 Mar 2020, 11:21 (Ref:3965754)   #137
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
So, my question is - why is the Coronavirus different? Does anyone know? I'm not being facetious here, I'm genuinely not sure why we're treating this outbreak so differently to those mentioned above.
I think because it has a combination of factors that make it so hard to contain:

Slow incubation period - so individuals can travel long distances and to multiple locations whilst transmitting the virus.
High mortality rate (potentially).
Symptoms that are easily mis-attributed to other illnesses - meaning people may have it but assume it is something else.

Previous illnesses have been too efficient at killing - essentially causing their own limitation of spread. This one appears (to me) to have the right balance of speed and strength to keep spreading for a long time.