View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2006, 13:52 (Ref:1529854)   #21
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There are several Moss candidates, 1958 Argentina being one of the ones I believe you are referring to AllonFS. Rob Walker's team tricked the opposition by appearing to plan for a tyre change, but the Cooper wheels were unsuitable (i.e. the stop would have been too long) and Moss stayed out, whilst everyone else pitted. Using oil patches to try and preserve the tyres, he just held on for the first of his four World Championship GP wins that season. Moss was probably the only driver around at the time who could have done that, and he pulled it off again at Monza in 1959 (I suspect that got Enzo's attention!). It's also worth remembering that it wasn't even a full 2.5-litre Cooper he used in Argentina, either!

As for the 1970 German GP, I read Mike Lang's account of that yesterday. It certainly sounds like an exciting race, with several cars involved in the lead battle before Rindt and Ickx were left on their own. Lang comments that Rindt made the decisive move with two laps to go and held on thereafter. However, I'm unclear what sources he might have used for that race, so I'd be interested to know if you do have a source with an alternative account, Steve.

Drat, Dad beat me to it!