Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2016, 21:19 (Ref:3617151)   #1474
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i can't see how this is going to be anything other than a big confusing mess for anyone actually watching it at the circuit. it's a bit ballroom dancing, isn't it?
fair point there. this seems like a format that can only work well on TV with a commentator, camera following the action, and on screen graphics showing who is up or down.

actually from both a TV and trackside point of view i always liked was 2004? rules when it was the two sessions (one low fuel to set the order for the 1 lap shoot out) with both sessions on the same day (Sat). both on TV and track side i found it engaging the whole time.

anyways all the tweaking over the years sort of just reinforces how inherently uninteresting quali can be. even the pre mid 90s format (low fuel with quali trim) with its freedom was boring as most teams just sat around for 50 minutes and ran like crazy for the last 10 minutes.

once they changed it to make cars plod around for 10 or so laps first to fill in the TV program its all been an attempt to introduce some excitement into something not particularity exciting.

dont get me wrong some of those Schumi vs Mika shootouts were epic but there has never been much more than 5-10 minutes of excitement to be had from any qualifying format. Jerez 97 being the only exception...the exception that proves the rule really.

so im fine with them trying something new.