View Single Post
Old 9 Aug 2018, 12:01 (Ref:3842482)   #5
MTW
Rookie

MTW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve R
Anyway, looking back at the OP, "utube" is probably the last place that I look for sensible, balanced, informed, clever and unbiased opinions.
As a student of critical thinking, occasionally a topic will come up I choose to address sourced from uninformed silly people on utube and the likes.

However you can find balanced, informed and clever opinions on utube also. I expect since cleverness and stupidity are ubiquitous, to find a contingent of uninformed views any place, and agree it is more probable to find more such views at utube.

So I myself was not claiming utube is the best place for balanced views. I am already aware that this guy was pretty much in the, "idiot" group, but it's still okay to address idiotic claims and expose them to a more balanced audience. let's face it, most comments occur on the likes of utube because there are many F1 videos, some videos pertain to individual drivers, and you will get haters making the same common errors.

The most common error a hater makes is slothful induction fallacy, which means they will take one or two examples of a driver, where they performed poorly, and ignore all of the majority evidence they were not poor drivers.

Example of mistake;

"To look at Schumacher's skills, we have to look at Monaco in the wet in 96 when he put it in the barrier, and when he shunted Coulthard at Spa in 98".

That is the most common type of reason people use on utube when they are arguing that a driver was poor, they will select the one or two occasions and magnify them or magnify a poor season they had, and ignore all of their achievements.

Last edited by MTW; 9 Aug 2018 at 12:07.