Old 4 Jan 2007, 11:17 (Ref:1805971)   #32
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukin
I assume you race? What info do you like in front of you?

We use a Pi dash with very little information and it seems to work fine. With some working you can have 1 dash display that shows data from different channels (i.e. it shows laptime for the first 5 seconds of the lap, the shows segment times or mid corner speeds from then on). I don't think you need a tacho like the MoTeC dash has though.

And with alarms you can remove a heap of information that you might otherwise want to look at (temperatures, pressures). If all is well there is no need to look at it.
As a driver, yes you are probably right.

I should just be looking at a big red light and, if it is on, look at what the problem is and make a decision whether to stop immediately or limp back to the pits. In fact there should just be three light, change gear, stop immediately and limp back to the pits immediately. That way I don't have to think at all!

Unfortunately I am also the race engineer for my own car which has a number of 'less than ideal' features. I often end up having to monitor things like oil pressure and temperature and adjust my driving accordingly rather than just getting on with the job. I really don't want to add pressing a button to scroll through the screens on the PI system to my list of distractions.

Hopefully a move to dry sumping, along with some extra head drains, will allow me to just rely on warning lights in future and then the PI system suddenly makes a lot of sense.