View Single Post
Old 11 Sep 2019, 12:12 (Ref:3927357)   #29
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Although I don't entirely disagree with the idea that no contact means a less severe penalty, it is open to a change in attitude by the driver on the receiving end of a move like Leclerc's: had Hamilton chosen not to move himself out onto the grass slightly, they would have collided and he could have helped Leclerc get a penalty, thereby ensuring the race win for himself.
Interesting thought, and one that brings to mind former cases of 'deliberate crashing'.

If the situation can be thought of here, without too much stretch, then surely the teams will also consider the options?

In the recent example of Leclerc vs Hamilton - there is also the 2nd car factor to consider. Had Mercedes been keen to see Leclerc penalised, then they have the option of putting Bottas right behind their 'target', and giving him the instruction to not avoid contact. They are then covered if either the pair crash out, or just contact is made but the drivers can continue.