Thread: PAU HISTORIQUE
View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2019, 20:08 (Ref:3897086)   #14
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Ferry costs (for the privateer) are a mystery. This morning I booked DFDS return Dover-Calais in May for a car, cost me £90 in total and I cursed because if I'd done it 2 days ago I could have saved £20. This evening, thinking about going back for Pau 1 week later, it would cost £300 with a trailer. Quite a hike, so I looked again at the same boats I got the 90 quid crossing on. Price has doubled in 8 hours. How do they justify that??? Yeah, yeah, I know - supply & demand.

Nevertheless, when we were running trucks the price never varied from one month to the next so the deal for Joe Public smacks of exploitation.
Probably been taking lessons from the train companies.

I recently took a train from Doncaster to Derby - well, 2 trains in the end.

The one way price for the whole route via Sheffield was a tad under £23 iirc.

Doncaster to Sheffield was £5.20 and Sheffield to Derby £12.20. Or £12.30 Sheffield - Derby and return.

A week later heading back I checked the price the day before and saw £12.70 for Derby to Doncaster. It was still the same price the next morning as I got on the bus so I bought an e-ticket as I travelled to the station.

I rather suspect that they have a computer program that is just fed with random numbers and set accept and publish any price that comes from the calculation so long as it fits within certain upper and lower bounds.

Much the same sort of system that HMG uses to 'calculate' the rate of inflation.