View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2019, 14:29 (Ref:3875714)   #26
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
Tim, feel free to correct but I wonder about your '97: may be its a typo and we should read '79 instead? Around one year from here, Gordon was talking about the spanish gov' studying new rules for the foreign driving licences. Then came up the special allowances list, "code 79" is one of those, and I recall Gordon saying that he'd better keep his english licence till it lasts.
Gerard, the date is 1997. When the UK harmonised our licences with Europe they were going to make everyone take a trailer test if the combination was over 3500kg gross (B+E) and a test for any vehicle over 3500kg up to 7500kg gross (C1) but industry said it would be too expensive to train everyone up and get them tested so we have grandfather rights if your passed your driving test before 1997.
If you passed after 1997 then you have to take the relevant tests. I have a C+E licence but on my C1E category it has a 107 code which means I can only gross to 8250kg with a trailer attached to a 7500kg truck, I assume my C+E overrides it but I've never put it to the test.
If Gordon means licence codes then our code 79 means restricted to certain classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
The GOV.UK note in post #1 states:
"When registered, trailers must display a trailer registration number plate as well as the registration number plate of the towing vehicle."
Where are you supposed to put two plates, mine barely has room for one

Last edited by Tim Falce; 12 Jan 2019 at 17:16.