Thread: Three stage DRS
View Single Post
Old 8 Sep 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3670930)   #10
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll skip the Verstappen bit, for obvious reasons.

3 stage DRS would work like this:

The DRS mechanism allows for three levels of effectiveness of the DRS:

1: zero to almost no DRS effect (Baku/Mexico)
2: between one and three, roughly half the effectiveness of the current implementation (Canada, Spa, Austria, etc, etc)
3: equal to the current setting for tracks which are though enough for overtaking already (Monaco, Hungary, etc, etc)

The FIA would decide which of the three would be appropriate for each circuit.

But I agree with most of you, as mentioned in the first post, that tweaking of the start and therefore length of the activation zone, would be much easier.

I think the current implementation of the activation zones is a result of a flawed logic that overtaking MUST be provided (and thus easy) to have a good race, so the activation zones are maxed out in length on the available straight to do just that. Where as in reality, what makes good racing is good battles for position, which may or may not work the first time round and where race craft becomes much more of a deciding factor again.

To do that the length of the activation zones should be looked at for each track and the ones where we see too many "blast by passes" would see a revision of their length. This could be anything from 0 to 500m reduction in length. The goal being that when someone makes a move the cars will on average be alongside at the end of the straight rather that one be four car lengths passed. This finetuning would take a bit of work, but would very easy with the technology already available.

I'll admit straight away, like Richard says, that far more factors are involved, like differences in PU output, aero setting, differences in battery deployment. However in general I reckon that stating that on some tracks the activation zones are too long based on flawed logic and that tuning their length on certain tracks would be to the benefit of racing would be quite easily to hold up.

PS. again I would also prefer for there to be no need for DRS, but they are not listening.