View Single Post
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2260745)   #7
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents
I don't think there will be any import tax though VAT at 17.5 percent may be payable depending on the cars status when it was last exported (if ever) from the UK.
Allan Shores at Kingstown shipping also imports vehicles from the states - 01482 374116 - he might be worth an alternate quote and may be able to advise on VAT.

Peter Wray
I've also used Alan at Kingstown - also very good.

One thing to be careful of (in general, not specific to Kingstown), are "handling" and other charges. There can be all sorts of charges that add up to quite a lot on top of the main costs for getting the car to docks, loading, unloading, customs clearing, storage etc. Make sure you understand all these before you start.

Assume you will have to pay 17.5% VAT on the cost of the car plus the shipping costs when the car is imported. If the car is of historical significance you can try to get this cut to 5% but they are very tough on this now and not many cars are accepted for the 5%. The rule of thumb I believe is pre 1950 plus serious history. The fact that it was one car painted blue of thousands built doesn't fly.

Alan or the Cars guys can definitely advise on all of this as well as give you a very accurate estimate and breakdown of all the costs involved.