View Single Post
Old 4 Aug 2020, 08:47 (Ref:3992838)   #255
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
From a Pirelli perspective that puncture is one I’d be more worried about.
I agree that Kvyat's puncture is more worrying from an external viewpoint. I think there is a risk of multiplying the incident when it is considered alongside the other failures though.

In isolation, it was a single failure that was totally unrelated to the other failures late on. Therefore it should be viewed in isolation. A few early theories (including AlphaTauri themselves) are working on the fact that Kvyat was distracted slightly by making in-car adjustments, and clipped a kerb at an unusual angle. That caused a puncture, which led to the accident.

It should also be remembered that there is a difference between:
a) A tyre failure due to wear.
b) A tyre failure due to wear and damage.
c) A tyre puncture.
d) A tyre failure with no obvious cause.

The tyre failures late on seem to be a result of b).

Kvyat's is either c) or d). If c), it's unfortunately a sporting incident. If d) that is when concerns should be raised.