View Single Post
Old 20 Jul 2000, 01:03 (Ref:24262)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with most of the above although I think Jacques is "Gilles with too much caution" - that is, he stops to think about what will happen if he does A or B, where Gilles just DID it and if it worked, good, and if not, next time he would try it a little differently and get it more nearly right.

But the one thing that both Gilles and Alain had that TGF does not and never will is - they were honorable men. Neither of them deliberately risked other peoples' careers, not to mention their lives, in a cold-blooded attempt to win a race at any cost. Mario Andretti said once that although Gilles would sometimes scare the life out of him, he could count on Gilles never to come across him or put any life at risk but his own. Prost always drove well within himself and the one thing he hated most about Senna was the way Senna would have literally killed someone (preferably his teammate) to win a race. Perhaps this is a different kind of champion - the kind who puts winning above living. But Prost and Villeneuve are the sort of racers I admire - and the sort of human beings as well.