Old 15 Jan 2018, 06:04 (Ref:3792809)   #34
Richard Craill
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
Richard Craill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
She's in the middle of a long way from anywhere.. accessibility is a genuine issue..
With all due respect, GTR, it's a genuine non-issue.

The Bend is an hour from the middle of Adelaide's CBD, with 90% of that on a 110kph Freeway, on which the circuit is located. It could not be easier to get to from the city, let alone any of the suburbs in the East or foothills. Once you get on Glen Osmond road out of the city you.. drive straight for an hour and reach your destination, on the left.

If an hour from the middle of a city of 1.2 million is 'the middle of a long way from anywhere' then I'd hate to see what Phillip Island or Winton are classified as, because they're two hours out at best (without taking into account any dramas on the Monash or the Hume).

Sydney Motorsport Park is 50 minutes from Sydney airport when traffic is good (so: never) and that's still in the suburbs!

It's 40 minutes from the Adelaide Hills and 20 minutes from a lot of the lower Murraylands, Lake Alexandrina and surrounding tourism regions... it's even 65 minutes to the Barossa Valley if you are so inclined.

Murray Bridge, as others have noted, is 15 minutes away and I bet within two years has a thriving Air BnB market for major events at the Bend, much in the same way much of Bathurst departs each February and October to make some cash out of renting their houses out.

I would argue that 'in the middle of a long way from anywhere' is actually 'located where no one will ever complain about noise, ever' and ideally placed to draw easily from not only the city and the 'burbs but the South East and even Victoria.

At a guess, I would argue that there is a similar amount of accommodation within 30-40 minutes drive of The Bend as there is within the same radius of the Phillip Island GP track.

I just don't get the 'but it's so hard to get to / there's no where to stay' argument that keeps popping up about this place because it's absolutely a non issue.

As for spectating, having seen the place I think it may surprise. There will be some good viewing areas. It'll be Phillip Island like in sight-lines, though you'll be able to see more across the circuit as there's no pit building in the middle.