View Single Post
Old 21 Jun 2020, 19:49 (Ref:3983110)   #49
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really breakfast related, or even motorsport related, but on a similar theme to PaulD’s above, (and it does explain a few things about our American cousins),I worked in Tampa a few years ago as one of a small team of U.K. liaison officers at US Central Command. One evening we decided to go out to Clearwater to a fish restaurant that had been recommended to us - I ordered the “Grouper meal”. The waiter looked me up and down and told me that he “could not let me order that”; suitably indignant I reminded him that the US were supposed to have invented the concept of customer service and that the customer was always right. He looked me up and down again and said, “You’re a Brit aren’t you?”
“yes of course” I replied, “so?”
“Ain’t no Brit ever eaten a grouper meal” he continued.
He then looked round the room and back at me, and then pointed me to look at a table a few yards away containing a grouper meal.
He was absolutely right! The meal consisted of one large plate containing a fried grouper overhanging the sides of the plate, another large plate containing just fries and a third large plate piled high with salad.
I asked him what he would allow me to order and he suggested that a grouper sandwich might be ok.
I duly ordered that, and even that was massive, and included fries and salad, without me even eating the bread!