View Single Post
Old 18 Jan 2013, 02:51 (Ref:3190887)   #53
redesp
Racer

Australia
Melbourne Australia...
redesp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that both the Ford and Holden products (built locally) have just run thier race.
The "general" public (as opposed to us forum members with an interest in motor sport:- and subsequently cars in general) have no interest or requirement to use a Falcon / Commodoore sized vehicle.
Smaller families and tighter budgets denote the need for smaller fuel efficient cars.
Families are moving more towards "people movers" and vans.... and then there's the X-Over market... basically making the traditional "family car" obsolete.

Then there's the other side of the equation.
Cheap import tarrifs have made it more affordable to purchase imported cars rather than a locally built vehicle.
Why buy a Statesman or G6E with you can buy an Audi or BMW?
Further to that, the people buying cars in this price range would rather have the "euro" modle rather than the aussie car for no other reason other than braggin rights about having a Beemer or Audi. And finally.. don't get me started on supercheap chinese and asian imports.(ie Great Wall).

Q. Why is there no export market for Falcon and Commodoore??
A. Simply because the rest of the world has an import tarriff scheme that protects thier local market.

In my humble opinion:
1. increase the import tarriff to provide protection for local manufacturers and stop the flood of imported cars. (the reduction in tarriff's under the original Button Plan has done its job by driving aussie quality UP).. and in doing so maybe stimulate a bit more sales growth in the local product.

2. Ford and Holden need to take a leaf out of Toyota's book and build vehicles that the general population want / need.

So it might be the end of the road for Falcon and Commodoore... but what i'd like to see is a vehicle that meets current needs while still being locally built.

Only Milk and Juice should come in 2 litres... ;)