View Single Post
Old 1 Apr 2015, 02:50 (Ref:3522567)   #27
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that you dont have to have "grunt" or whatever to enjoy driving an "everyday" car. I avoid the unnecessary use of the brakes and just dodge things. Of course people tell you are crazy and you put others at risk, but I dont consider what I do to be particularly risky and the times I was near adhesion limits because of some oil or dirt on the road, the car responded well.

I drive this crap:

The 900kgs makes the 1.2L 75HP engine look good in the city ,its not enough in the road, the 5th gear is short and that makes it thirsty. Also because of those 900kg the insufficient braking power seems good with no passengers or luggage in plain dry asphalt, but its not.

The car has no real confort extras, just basic cheap transportation. If you know how to use this car you can do 100,000 miles in 5 years like I did without replacing anything but the windshield wipers, oil, filters and timing belt. Next week "the crap" will be on holidays and I will replace brake pads, tyres, spark plugs and cables, brake fluid, coolant liquid and hidraulic steering fluid.

Brake discs, shock absorbers, wheel bearings and rubber bushes are all originals and in good condition. I still cover long distances flat out (160kph) and oil consumption is 0. I change it every 6,500 miles.

There you have, a small cheap car that can beat a Porsche 911 in dense traffic.