View Single Post
Old 31 Jan 2023, 11:39 (Ref:4142296)   #1057
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Regardless of whether there is enough money for a prize fund or not, I can't see it working as a model for BTCC teams.

Firstly, in the current context of TBLs, teams have to have a more reliable source of funds to cover their exposure.
Secondly, what guarantee does a good driver have that they will deliver results.

If I look at last year's grid. Lloyd (for example) would be considered by many as being a talented driver. But what prize money would he have gained coming 10th in the championship?
And would that have gone anywhere near covering the repair bills through the season?

I think the biggest risk is that the prize money would only lead to a fixed grid order, rather than mixing it up. If a team is relying on prize money to fund a significant part of their entry, then that needs to be a healthy sum all the way down to 29th place. Working up from that, the prize money at the front of the grid would need to be huge in comparison.

Once certain teams are swallowing up such huge sums of money, the midfield teams have no chance of catching up.