View Single Post
Old 21 Oct 2022, 09:18 (Ref:4130955)   #487
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I wonder if BTC have felt they have done all they can with the Honda and felt they need to find a more competitive package
Yes - I think that is definitely the case. It was discussed a few posts back about how teams who take a customer car will struggle if the builder of the car is still in the championship. That is part of the reason why Laser Tools are looking to a potential new build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Eurotech are probably the only ones to win the title with a customer car.
In terms of the drivers' title, yes. And in terms of looking at results with a customer car, anything prior to NGTC regulations is a different context I feel.

Since the adoption of full NGTC across the whole grid, the following customer cars have picked up titles:

YearTitleWinner
2013Drivers' ChampionJordan
2013Independent Drivers'Jordan
2013Independent TeamsPirtek Racing
2013Jack SearsWood
2014Jack SearsNewsham
2017Independent Drivers'Ingram
2017Independent TeamsSpeedworks
2018Independent Drivers'Ingram
2018Independent TeamsSpeedworks
2019Independent Drivers'Butcher
2019Independent TeamsCobra Sport AmD
2019Jack SearsButcher
2020Jack SearsCrees
2022Independent Drivers'Cook
2022Independent TeamsRich Energy BTC Racing

So what do I think this tells us? I think that as a stepping stone, picking up a customer car makes sense until you have established experience in the BTCC. But if you want to make a bid for the main titles, then you need to have your own in-house developed car.

BTC are now at this point. They tried to run something different to Team Dynamics by fitting the TOCA engine in. It seems clear that they want their own engine, and the freedom to develop a car in their own manner. And so, they need a new model and probably the support of someone like Swindon to develop the engine.