Thread: 2018 DTM
View Single Post
Old 1 Oct 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3853777)   #247
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know Formula One is bad this year, when you're more excited for the next DTM race than for the next Formula One race. And why not? The 55 minute race format has worked so far, thus DTM races aren't drawn out too much. If there's a "boring" DTM race, it's at least over within an hour. But the on-track product is still closer than F1 and it feels like the DTM's production is slightly better, since they also put a good focus on battles in the midfield, whereas Formula One just likes to show the race leaders.

Of course there are some "traditions" DTM has a hard time shedding, such as team orders. The team orders at the Red Bull Ring may be good for the excitement of the championship, but still bad for the sport. But that's what you get when you have three manufacturers footing the bill. It'd be better for the future if DTM evolved into an IndyCar/Supercars style series, as in the manufacturers only providing cars to the teams. Because I don't know if BMW or Audi want to pump that money into DTM any longer. But the gradual opening towards private teams is a step into the right direction. The series would be even better, if for example a driver from Team Phoenix wouldn't have to wave through a driver from Team Rosberg, but rather fight him on the track.

But overall, DTM has really improved under Gerhard Berger. If Hans-Werner Aufrecht was still in charge, I doubt that we would have even had a 2018 season to talk about. But if DTM keeps the costs stable, brings more opportunities for teams to earn money, then I can see a stable future for DTM. I'd certainly hope so.