Thread: LM24 Le Mans Trap Speeds
View Single Post
Old 7 Jul 2007, 00:23 (Ref:1956615)   #80
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Hodgkinson
I always wonder how quick Group C cars would've been if the 3.5l formula was not introduced, and instead the 905 ended up at 800kg with a turbo motor instead.

Futhermore I tend to wonder what Group C cars would be like now if the series not been killed off...

Going back to the Jag topic, what were TWR's reasons for the shelfing of the XJR11 endurance car? I'm guessing most people will want to tell me that it was because the turbo era was coming to a close.

However, on the IMSA side of things the XJR-/11 and the XJR-12 continuted to be raced & developed up until 1993. That's 3 years worth of racing in which the XJR-11's could've been changed into a formidable endurance car. Why did it never happen? Even the Toyota Eagles got to the point of being able to finish 12 hour races!
The reuglations changed in Europe, the 3.5 liter normally aspirated formula came into effect for 1990, therefore the XJR-11 was out, XJR-14 in. The XJR-10 (what the XJR-11 was called over here, basically the same car but with a 3.0 liter [instead of 3.5 liter as the -11 had] twin turbo V6 and GTP tunnels) continued in the US and evolved into the XJR-16 ('91). In '92 the XJR-14 was brought over to the US as Jaguar's European commitment was done and the IMSA program was funded through 1993.

And the Toyota Eagle MkIIIs did one better than that, they won the Daytona 24 in 1993 and indeed both actually finished in '92.