Old 25 Apr 2010, 21:52 (Ref:2679633)   #765
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit boy View Post
The rule would appear to have come from some of the senior group of IO's at the circuit
I think I begin to surmise a theory here...

Lots of IOs and Observers (and higher officials too by the looks of it) don't like having scanners on post. The reasons why are down to personal preference and you'd have to ask them. It could be possible that one of these anti scanner people told one of his team to put his device away, and via chinese whispers the rumour has grown and now there's a scanner ban (and as a side effect all IOs are Barstewards)... that isn't, if you see what I mean.

For the umpteenth time: We need official clarification one way or another before taking action. If the rumour has substance to it, then I'll react to it... by carrying on Marshalling with or without my scanner. So much talk about giving up; give up why? We're supposed to be some of the best marshals in the world aren't we? Is it totally impossible to expect us to adapt to not having scanners? I'd miss the useful radio conversations, and maybe I wouldn't be able to deploy red flags/Safety car boards as quick as before, but I don't rely upon it. As previously mentioned - I react to the circuit for flag deployments... as it should be. A little extra warning to find the flag in the rack [or if at Silverstone, floor of the flag point where it's fallen over AGAIN] is useful, but not essential.

I'm not saying that a total ban is wrong - I don't see what banning scanners will achieve. Also if it's being implemented because of a minority of fools who do what they're told not to, then that's not right either, but at the end of the day we don't make up the rules, we have to play by them. If motorsport stopped because we all threw our scanners out the pram and stopped because we don't want to obey a rule that rightly or wrongly has been applied to us, who would Joe Public blame first when events got cancelled because no-one could be bothered to turn out to Marshal?