View Single Post
Old 12 Apr 2017, 05:48 (Ref:3725689)   #28
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by newlaprecord View Post
Alternatively you will be able to find many quotes claiming the same thing. Here is one i digged out for you: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/m...errari-802678/
That quote is from McLaren themselves, so they're hardly going to say that their chassis is not good are they! They even admit though that they don't have the best chassis. Boullier's comment says they feel they are in the top three - so basically joint third, behind Mercedes and Red Bull and level with Ferrari.
He says that they are lacking downforce, with a car that has made aerodynamic compromises - not an aerodynamic masterpiece as was claimed previously - so that is hardly going to make them as good through the corners as other cars.

I have found other comment(s) for you.
'Fernando Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne were observed having a difficult time manhandling the MCL32 [...] Gary Anderson saying "this is not just a very good chassis being let down by the engine"
'Although encouraged by the early chassis impressions, Boullier did admit that the lack of mileage the team has had in testing - allied to having to run in low-power engine modes because of reliability concerns - meant it was not ideal to get a proper gauge on where it stood.'

Compared to other cars on the grid, the car has a slower approach speed to corners, meaning that it has less braking to do. As a result it will obviously be more stable into the corner and so better able to hit the apex and carry what little speed it has into the corner.
It might look on rails, but that is compared to the other cars. As Boullier has admitted, even they don't know exactly where there chassis is, so I am still confused as to where the evidence of it being an aerodynamic masterpiece has come from and not in-house bravado.