Thread: Chevron B45
View Single Post
Old 9 Jan 2004, 23:21 (Ref:833117)   #5
jlcw
Rookie

jlcw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cameron,

I own the B45 Chevron FA chassis #4. I bought it in the UK some years ago and had it shipped over here. I am currently in the process of restoring the car to its original Atlantic trim. It has few Opert pieces on it, including some of the original bodywork, as well as the g'box spacer that Crawford and his engineer developed to move the engine forward and improve the handling (i.e. reduce the understeer).

Chris Townsend accurately describes the history of this chassis - which complements the info I obtained from Paul Owen of Chevron fame - though Chris has added some later info about the other tubs that I was not aware of - many thanks for that.

I have spoken several times with Vin Malkie as well as Jim Crawford before his untimely passing. Jim was very excited by the restoration project - and I had hoped that he might have an opportunity to drive the car again. He did put in some amazing drives in the car including a win in the wet at Oulton Park in the Aurora F1 (or AFX?) series, where he outclassed many more powerful cars.

As I piece together the car's more recent history I would be grateful if anyone could supply me with information about the car in the late 80s, early 90s.

Thanks,

Jeff