View Single Post
Old 25 Sep 2000, 13:28 (Ref:39163)   #3
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, the vagaries of the 10 Tenths posting system has wiped out an hour's worth of work I did culling about ten prominent US papers for samplings of their coverage.

I can sum up by saying it was run-of-the-mill -- what you would expect: Schumi breezes to victory despite late spin in front of largest crowd (heavily favoring Ferrari) ever to see an F1 event.

The only piece of commentary I came across was in the Indianapolis Star, by writer Bill Benner. Here are excerpts:

"Is that all there is?

Is that all there is to Grand Prix racing, supposedly the most sophisticated, exotic, exciting form of motorsport on the planet?

Was this really the ultimate test of man and machine, or barely little more than a Sunday afternoon quiz?

Was the most difficult decision of the entire afternoon really when to yank the rain tires and go with the "slicks,'' as they call them?

Indeed, let's review the two biggest moments of the first U.S. Grand Prix at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

No. 1: the pass that put Michael Schumacher in the lead.

No. 2: the fire that eliminated his principal rival, Mika Hakkinen.

And that was it . . .

"Yet this wasn't a race. An event, yes, but a race, no. More like a parade, albeit at speeds ranging from 30 to 200 mph.

Schumacher got so far ahead he even lulled himself to sleep . . .

"You know what a lack of concentration costs you in an Indy car? A month-long stay in a hospital and a permanent limp.

Nonetheless, the Euro press corps in the media center found this all quite enticing, even to the point of cheering.

But then, we're talking about folks who get all frothy over a nil-nil soccer game between Luxembourg and the Lesser (or is it Greater?) Antilles.

Sorry, but I just don't get it, and I wonder if the Americans who wandered into Tony George's speed palace for their first sampling of Formula One will get it, too.

I wonder if they'll be as eager to dish out up to $140 for a seat to next year's F-1 extravaganza.

Perhaps they will.

And maybe Team Axis (German driver, Italian car) won't be as dominant next year.

Let's hope, because Sunday, all it made for was a nap. Next year, just in case, bring a pillow."

Not encouraging, is it?