View Single Post
Old 3 Nov 2020, 18:49 (Ref:4014759)   #227
Badlands99
Racer

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Badlands99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greatest of All Time means too many things .......

Is he the best that we have seen for a while? - YES, definitely.

Has he had the best car? - by a very long way.
And are there others who could do just as good a job in that car? Undoubtedly!

Rosberg was close at times, but Lewis has been just so consistant over the years that he has been racing and he has one quality that many very, very good drivers don't have - the ability to never give up when things are not quite right. Just take the Imola race - not the best start, passed by Max as well, but just bided his time and then told the team (not asked the team), 'I am going for this and don't try to stop me'! This is the sort of thing that separates the really good drivers from the very best.

The drivers from the time that I have been watching F1 - 1975 to the present day that always embodied this spirit - Hunt, Villeneuve, Lauda, Mansell, Senna, Schumacher, and now Max and Lewis.

Yes, there have been many other drivers that were brilliant in their time but there are just a few that you would pay a lot of money to go and see.
These are the best of the best and all of us will have different ideas of who should be on that list but each one will have that little bit of extra brilliance up their sleeves.

An example ..... I remember in Mansell's Championship winning year, standing at Woodcote on the first lap, he appeared out of Bridge and there was what appeared to be an incredibly long wait for anybody else to arrive - I believe it was +2 seconds but seemed like no-one else was left in the race! These are the memories that we all have about different drivers that elevate them above the really good drivers and make them 'the Best' and Lewis is definitely up there!