View Single Post
Old 3 Jul 2019, 21:26 (Ref:3915752)   #15
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Only thirteen events...... That is less than 2014 when Mr Warburton kept telling us the series was on its knees because of a bad TV deal..... I thought the Foxtel deal was supposed to improve the sport, not provide less cars and less events?

Thirteen events is also less than in 1996.....a time that Tony Cochrane kept telling us was awful and the sport was on its knees

Maybe Supercars/Archer should just hand it all back to CAMS and we can get on with things
Speedcafe article said 14 events, not 13.

14 events was the norm for many years in the noughties - comprised of 13 points rounds of the championship and one non-points event at the AGP. The sport was doing OK then.

Granted that 14 is one less than the current 15 round series but I hardly think that reducing the number of rounds by one event means annihilation and a "hand it back to cams" scenario.

On the other hand, WHERE the events are run is quite important I think. If the story is accurate about PI (great track but doesn't draw a big crowd for car racing) and Winton missing out, that would be a great shame and leave Vic with the AGP and Sandown - but if Sandown is to lose the 500km race to the bend, that would be a really big mistake IMHO - experience shows that sticking with some traditions does make a difference and it would be a great shame for the sport to make the mistake of moving that event before it is forced to by Sandown's much-discussed future closure. I guess it's a case of "money talks" with the bend.

As for handing "it all back to CAMS" - LOL, the confederation got out of running it precisely because they knew at the time they were a governing body and not good promoters. Not much change these days really - nothing wrong with the Shannons Nationals as a series but 7 events at 6 tracks and much lower crowds, not a live TV series etc mean that it's not in the same league from the point of view of being a promoter.