Thread: DTM DTM 2020
View Single Post
Old 25 Jan 2020, 18:56 (Ref:3953334)   #54
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a huge huge shame and I feel a bit devastated. A bit ridiculous on R-Motorsport's behalf because they split with HWA months ago and just now they announce their withdrawal despite claiming they will remain just a few weeks ago.

The biggest problem is that DTM remains very very expensive for customer teams which could fill up the grid a bit even in case of two manufacturers. If there are 6+6 factory cars and four customer teams we have 20 cars on the grid and quite a variety (I know, two manufacturers only but a few different teams).

I think what Berger is doing is heading in the very right direction when it comes to internationalisation, calendar, regulations (e.g. no ballast), etc and judging by these things there's something fresh about today's DTM. But unfortunately after Mercedes exit it's become difficult to find new manufacturers and this is where the problem lies. DTM should be cheaper and more open to customer teams. Something like European Supercars. Making it a GT3 series is a bit too radical maybe but something close to this would be perfectly fine. Like combination of GT3 and Supercars.