View Single Post
Old 23 Apr 2019, 06:01 (Ref:3899099)   #247
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Well I guess that isn't a surprise given all the chat about this within the sport.

I reckon that it's probably about 15 years since such a parity change to aero has been made during the season (that was a reduction in the commodore front undertray).

Prior to COTF, there was a process within the supercar rules / vehicle recognition process to assess parity across the two makes racing at the time - it used data from the timing system across all races and going deep into the field (not just the front runners).

When COTF came in, that process was dumped in the belief that the new regulations would provide technical parity without the need for adjustments outside of the testing / approval process.

From the sound of this statement, it seems that supercars has gone back to a process similar to that pre-COTF arrangement. Not surprised, to me it seemed foolhardy to go away from the process in the first place as it provides an effective "safety net".

Whilst not perfect (nothing is) the category has always been a technical parity based competition and having some kind of ongoing data to assess so that tech parity can be monitored as best as possible makes sense - what doesn't make sense was to go away from such measurement but good to see that something similar seems to be underway again.