View Single Post
Old 16 Sep 2019, 13:23 (Ref:3928327)   #4
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Longer answer from me...

Broadly speaking the fans offer "goals" such as "better racing" and "louder engines", or have specific complains that boil down to "it's not like it was X years ago". Some will offer solutions, but they are small in scope such as "smaller wings", etc. Occasionally you get some type of an attempt at a comprehensive solution such as Stefan Johansson published manifesto awhile back, but even those, while well meaning and sometimes with good ideas, in their entirety fail for some type of obvious reason that is not apparent to the author. I think this is the difficulty of one person trying to solve the problem. Sometimes they can't see why some of their ideas are dumb.

The "fans" also don't speak with a single voice and offer up conflicting goals, so agreement is a struggle. But there can be some level of critical mass agreement that is apparent such as the "better racing" one. While a number of us here think about how things might work financially, I think that most fans don't care one way or another. All they care about is the entertainment factor. Some may say they don't want "entertainment", but want "real racing". I think the irony that "real racing" is their personal form of "entertainment" is lost upon them. But to my point, fans tend to not think much about the business side of the sport. So they tend to not think big picture enough to really offer full solutions. We all know that running anything by committee is a death sentence. Or at least a large committee is a death sentence. "Fans" are a large committee.

With that all being said F1 Management has generally been hampered by trying to adjust the knobs that run the sport by gentle twists. A pinch more or less salt or pepper in the recipe, but the recipe is still pretty much the same. This current 2021 attempt seems more hopefully given it's the end of the current Concorde agreement and there is new ownership of the business. As mentioned above, a capable dictator is best. Short of that then a capable dictatorial committee is next best. We don't have either as clearly they can't (or will not) just operate without regards to the teams and particularly the manufactures, but it's probably as close to a dictatorship as we are likely to see.

I DO think F1 Management is trying to listen to the fans. But they have other voices to listen to as well. That is why I said "Both" above in my first post.

The video Casper linked in the first post is hopeful as Brawn mentioned the group who is examining the car performance is not disbanding once regulations are settled upon. That means they are cognizant to the fact that they are unlikely to get it 100% right. That ongoing tweaks will be needed. And that they are not sure what that will be until the see the on-track action in 2021. The same comment applies to not bringing in new teams until things stabilize. Again that speaks to ongoing tweaks and adjustments in the 2021+ timeframe

Richard