View Single Post
Old 10 Jan 2010, 17:42 (Ref:2611096)   #62
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wilkinson View Post
The TOM'S Corolla had 203bhp at the start of '88, apparently. Not bad from a 1600, I'll be lucky if my Nova has 60% of that! The '87 RSTs had 230bhp.

Sorry for creating more questions today - with that RST and the Commodore, everything's going out of whack. Of course, that's if we believe everything we read, which I don't think we can.

The track test (I'd forgotten about it!) gives a couple of clues that makes me think that Asquith were based in West Kingsdown, by Brands. Jones' '87 car was Curnow's '86 Datapost entry (a Longman car). What happened to Longman's car from '86, and where did Mark Hales' car come from? More questions, haha!
Now you mention it West Kingsdown rings a bell with me

The Longman car is probably still around- there's a Datapost RS Turbo around in Ford RS Owners Club circles which I think is the ex-Longman car.

The Hales car might have been built by Terry Drury Racing themselves- I think they were running a single car for Hales against the Datapost team in '86 (Datapost didn't run a second RS Turbo until '86 either- their '85 campaign was a Turbo for Longman and an RS1600i for Curnow, as the Turbo wasn't homologated until mid-year) TDR's second car appeared in '87.