View Single Post
Old 19 Aug 2009, 09:30 (Ref:2524232)   #28
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Al,

Zef said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
spec the car to maximise its eligibility would be my advice, in doing that you'll inadvertantly be historically correct, and most likely uncompetitive . . . but you'll have a nice car!
To which I said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Zef,

If its got a 1622 it won't be historically correct. That engine was used by BMC to get rid of the final batch of MGA twinks in 1959 (ish), they called them the De Luxe, so certainly never fitted as OE in a Magnette.
To which morningents said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
HRSR, who race with the HSCC, would also welcome this car. If it was available in period with a 1622 cc engine you would be allowed to increase the engine size by, I think, 10.5%. We are considering allowing 50's cars to increase capacity by 12.5% which would nicely allow the 1798cc MGB engine plus a small overbore. We are also considering a season's end trophy for the best 50s car running with the normal HRSR classes.
To which I said that the engine was not original equipment as follows:

Quote:
It was built with a 1498 (ish) cc B series engine.

The blocks are, I believe, the same all through the range.
To which you said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Did'nt the B engine grow a couple of extra main bearings?
So I clarified by saying,

Quote:
Yes Al, but that was 1966 and waaay past the B series we are discussing.

The original 3 bearing ran fron 1200cc (in the A40 Devon I think) through 1498, in which form it was put into the Z, MGA, Farina Magnettes and of course the Cambridge/Oxford range, then to 1798cc in the MGB.
And you said,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
What that you can't legally run it with an MGB engine or you can?
So to summarise, the MGB never ran a 1622 engine (except a very early prototype). Therefore to be "legal" as Zef suggests you can't run an MGB engine. Also to qualify for App k or the HRSR you can't run a 1622 because in the former they never fitted that capacity from the works but in the latter although the capacity increase percentage could get you there.

Thus the best thing for the car may be to shove in a tuned 1622 with bigger carbs etc. and run it in OBG. However the OBG may allow the use of the 1798cc engine. Needs checking.