View Single Post
Old 14 Dec 2020, 00:46 (Ref:4022785)   #8
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Firstly, as others have said, massive kudos to Liberty, the FIA and the teams for giving us a 17 race season - really didn't think that many would be delivered.

Great shame that the competition right at the pointy end was so one-sided overall but that isn't the fault of Mercedes, just shows the gap that the other teams need to bridge to get on terms.

I ended up ignoring the regular first three from MB and RB (other than Sakhir, where George was a breath of fresh air) and focussing on the mid field and really, this year has been scintillating when viewed that way - unpredictable much of the time, close racing, overtakes, undercuts, near-misses etc - action aplenty. Been a good season.

Then there are the circuits and to me, it has been the selection of some of the circuits that has made this season a STANDOUT and massive improvement over recent years. Whoever it was who took the massive sow's ear of racing with Covid & turned it into the exceptional silk purse we were delivered deserves huge accolades and some kind of medal IMHO. Mugello should be on the bill every year, just an absolutely sublime circuit and an achingly beautiful setting, Portimao very close to it, Imola is hauntingly special and the Sakhir layout really worked - so really, really good to go there and even though Turkey didn't really work due to the recent resurfacing, it would be good to see it back on the regular calendar as well. Abu Dhabi showed that the bland circuits we've been used to in recent years don't often deliver - I know commercial forces come into play and running multiple Grands Prix in one country has been avoided for some time but it would be so good if we could see F1 back at the tracks introduced (or brought back) this year more often.

Pretty good year I reckon!