View Single Post
Old 24 Aug 2018, 09:33 (Ref:3845715)   #14
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I think you've hit the nail firmly on the head here Andy. The extra complication (and electronicification) of later racing cars is going to be a huge barrier to keeping them running, and especially keeping them running at an affordable level. Back in the day Super Touring Cars were either works run or at least very professionally run cars with a budget to match. Some of what was state of the art technology back then is maybe obsolete now. It's OK to have engine parts re-made (if you can afford it) but some of the electronics just cannot be reproduced nowadays.
I think I read somewhere that McLaren were buying up old lap tops of 1990s vintage, because they were the only ones with the ability to run the software and/ or the floppy discs to examine the electronics in the McLaren F1 road car!

I worry that I cant get front wings for my Audi Quattro; in the future, we will have racing cars sitting in museums that cant be started because the software is corrupt, the microchip has deteriorated and the hybrid system doesn't work.