Thread: Tech Issue Pirelli-The Tyre Story..
View Single Post
Old 23 Feb 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3209642)   #33
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Again, if Ferrari, or whoever, want to risk spending that amount of money, then it's not the tyres that are at fault.
fair point i suppose but its sort of besides the point imo. surely they could also all spend less money and not begin developing their next years car until they know for sure what the tires will behave like but where would that leave us? should F1 be about designing cars for the tires supplier or should the supplier be designing tires for the cars...which is of course a whole other cost debate.

and its not just a 'big team' problem because they can afford to fix their problems after the fact. the real problem is for a team with a limited budget because they have less options for changing direction once they get to the first winter test and a chance to put on significant real world miles. if they have to wait for the tires to show up before they can complete their designs you put them even further back in terms of time which is just another penalty like their problem of being out spent.

we have enjoyed relatively stable rules for a number of years so the cost savings should have been higher but from the way the teams talk it hasent been the case so i question the logic of changing the compounds from year to year and the extra cost that entails.

its not Pirelli's fault, i agree, but rather that of a a system that is looking less and less sustainable every year.