View Single Post
Old 4 Oct 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3460563)   #1
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Portimao 24 hr Pre War Sports Car Event

The Bengerfield Club are sponsoring a 24 hr Pre War Sports Car Event at Portimao this weekend.

I thought it a daft idea when I was first told about it but having spent six hours at the track today was very impressed.

To give it some gravitas the cars ran with hoods up for first twenty laps as Le Mans 1924.

Twenty plus cars started and twenty were running at midnight withnTalbot 105 being quickest ,followed by a 328 BMW and the unique Triumph Dolomite.

The Talbot lot stopped for tea then supper and decided to have a nights sleep before having another go tomorrow so it's not to serious for them!

Paul Carters Derby Bentley Special took the thing much more seriously and were extremly well drilled and took the lead after four hours and I would be very surprised if they lost it They were still being pushed by the BMW which has a blower ( wonder if BMW know about that) and another Bentley.

The girls team in a Bentley four and a half went well getting into fifth place before some mechanical misfortune hit but they have restarted.

Let's see how many survive tomorrow .

Not bad for 70/90 year old cars and well done to the organisers.