Thread: Roll Cages
View Single Post
Old 7 Oct 2002, 12:50 (Ref:397503)   #10
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having read this forum for a long time and not participated in any of it I thought after reading this I should register and reply to this as it is a bit of an attack on the scrutineering practice. I can assure you that every safety aspect of the car is carefully looked at and roll over structure is one of those key safety features. Of coarse there are specifications of the distance from the top of the drivers helmet to the top of the cage however as you point out we do not usually see the driver sat in the car (and if we did he hasnt got a helmet on as he hands it to us so we can check it conforms) but if we did they usually go away and put a cushion or a piece of foam in which might put them above (how can we prevent this). The responsibility must also fall onto the competitor to ensure they are bellow (after all it is their head that is going to hit the floor).
But it is a problem that is taken seriously and if it is reported and we are informed and it is deemed to be unsafe he/she will be black flagged and brought in. As you say we don’t want to see a marshal scraping up brains from the tarmac (very well put) but we are the ones that have to stand up in court and defend our selves.
EP yes there are regulations for this (around 5 pages) they can be found in the competitors yearbook ‘bluebook’ under section Q subsection 1 however it is in metric nowadays and is 5cm above the drivers helmet.
If you have any questions please send me a msg or leave a note on here and ill try and answer most of them. Or when you are next at a race meeting come over and have a look round we don’t bite(and there will be a blue book floating around if you realy want a look) although I thought they would send you a copy with you MSA card. But more importantly if you think something is unsafe tell either a scrutineer or a clerk and it will get looked at.