View Single Post
Old 7 Jan 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1808738)   #60
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
What Zytek really want to do is to put together an all out 'factory' assault on Le Mans with a (pair of) hybrid-electric car(s). Unfortunately, and after much discussion with the ACO I believe, a set of rules which would allow such a vehicle to be competitive at Le Mans does not, as yet, exist.
I have heard they wanted a weght break for the amount of batteries they will need to carry--implying a bigger restrictor etc etc.

Given that their hybrid had to be ballasted significantly, this sounds pretty hollow to me. I think they were striving for a competitve advantage (that has been given to diesels) through the regs. The fundamental problem that they face is that they struggle with a lack of torque compared to Judd, AER or the Audi. As it is unlikely that the Zytek V8 can be stretched any further, they need their hybrid technology to give them that added punch of torque.

If, on the other hand, they cannot realistically stay within the weight, then the hybrid technology is not applicable to prototypes at present. That is probably the reason why Zytek appear reluctant to use their own money to develop it at present.